Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Delusions of Grandeur

Education day today. Gives me far too much time to think. Today's thorn in my side, is my ongoing God complex - I'm definitely nowhere near as important or clever as I think I am; but what is really yanking my chain is the intermittant storied that the media run with along this line. Why is it the medical profession is always accused of playing God in a negative way? It's always when we don't offer treatment, or when someone dies that the accusations fly... Doctors tried to play God by disconnecting my baby from life support, etc...

Whatever your personal views are about Doctors with God complexes, surely it has to work both ways? If I can play God by not treating someone, what am I doing by treating someone. Didn't God create meningitis? Is a ruptured aorta too not God given? As far as I can see, you can't have it both ways; playing God as meaning making life-or-death decisions..?
So why do the papers never scream 'Doctors played God by saving my critically ill baby'? Not good news? Or do I just need to up my lithium dose?

Answers on a postcard, please

No comments: