Monday, December 17, 2007

All Wang-Eyed, And Nowhere To Go

Further confirmation, if it were necessary, that i can, on occasion, function on bugger all sleep. But the drive back was... interesting. And although I feel dead on my feet, I'm very fearful that I will elude the arms of Morpheus again tonight. I don't think I can do it again.

And so to work; it's man flu season. Even some of the female nurses were admitting to it. I'm sure that's 'bird-flu', but anyway...

I guess I must have looked more pasty than usual; I sure as hell felt it. It was all I could do to not throw up when I got in. Sure, I can work on no sleep, but it ain't clever. Domperidone sorted that out. Resus was in full swing when I arrived. Baby blue pyjamas knows. He was there. I missed all the action, but did get a chance to relocate a posterior shoulder dislocation, something I haven't tried before. It seemed simple enough, and one of my SHOs and I produced a satisfying clunk. Smug mode all round.

Nope. Apparently, one clunk does not a relocation make. I'm sure it went back, but slipped out again, while we were assessing stability; or when the Radiographers were X-Raying it. Yes, that was definitely it...

So.... the Boss asked me to check out a fella who had had his legs unpleasantly squashed in an RTC. As he put it, when the car in front stopped, he stopped about six inches too late. One bust patella, and a mashed radius. As luck would have it, this was today's lucky combo for an Ortho admit.

Meanwhile... the Boss reattempted the shoulder. I was quite pleased to see he appeared to struggle with it too; until BBP stepped into the breach. Before you could say 'counter-traction' there was a distinctly lesser clunk, but a whole lot more reduced joint. Next time for Shroom, I guess. I just have to remember to take BBP wth me...

I have more wisdom to impart (well, true for a certain value of the word 'wisdom'), but I really am tired... So, until I edit, a reminder to myself - wang-eyed, end of the night shift and nursing scut vs doctor scut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've just had a horrid thought. i put his sling on.... and he winced. i assumed it was him having a sore shoulder from pulling it.... it could have all been my fault.

Sorry Shroom.