Sunday, February 01, 2009

Quantum Of Time

The shortest unit of time measurable; thetime between before I told you the diagnosis, and the time after I've told you.

Everything changes, all at once. Right now, that moment feels like it's lasting forever, but when you look back, you'll realise, it really didn't take any time at all.

I saw her, sitting on the trolly, twirling her hair; maybe this gesture belied her nerves. She had an idea something wasn't right: that's what drove her to the ED, late on this cold, unforgiving night. We all agredd and ordered up the CT, a big dose of rays for one so young, but the history demanded it. Cried out for it.

Maybe we knew before, but the scan and its report spelled it out. Once written, can't be taken back.

I looked from the report to you, surrounded by family; all waiting.

And I'm glad you weren't my patient.

3 comments:

Pill Pusher said...

Lemme guess.. an advanced malignancy

Alex Stoker said...

something like that...

Dougal said...

Gosh, there is so much useful data above!
this page | check | 4