Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Love Of Money...

So, today, I both read, and heard on the radio of the hardship QCs are being forced to endure. The new minimum rate of legal aid work is a paltry £91/hr, rising to a max of £145. The say this is risible, especially as they reckon half of the cash goes on overheads and taxes.

By my reckoning, if I earned £91 an hour, and took home half, I'd clear almost 9 grand a month, and more like 14 grand at the higher rate.

Poor bastards; how do they manage?

(Incidentally, they say that the lack of paid holidays and pensions makes the rates reasonable; to be on my take home, which, let's be honest is not to be sniffed at, I suspect they'd have to be paying 90% of their gross in taxes and pensions and unpaid hols... on balance, I think I'd take their pay and terms over mine... if I could find a lawyer who'd trade...)

No comments: