Tuesday, June 19, 2007

South Coast Multiple Choice

Try to imagine you are a heavily pregnant teenager; now imagine you've been ahving contractions for a week.

The Obs and Gobs folks tell you it's early labour, and you're five cm dilated, then discharge you.

Q1: How best do you think your time can be spent:

A) Relaxing at home with your family?

B) On a fairground ride that propels you round at several G, and fires you upside down?

Q2: When you arrive at the ED in some pain, how long will it take for someone to ask, incredulously, 'You were where? Doing what?!?'

A) No time at all, they asked me as I was wheeled in

B) Why would they ask me that?

9 comments:

Magistrat said...

A great man once said:

"Common sense is not so common"

Vijay said...

Disregarding what she did later, why the hell was she 'discharged' when she was 5 cm dilated?

Is that standard policy??

Alex Stoker said...

I struggle to understand anyone's standard policy these days, and I freely confess to know little about the mysteries of obs and gobs; so in short, I don't know why she was discharged. Mine is not to reason why..? In fairness, the hsitory as proposed here was effecively 3rd hand, so there may be some innacuracies

Patient Anonymous said...

Again, you know me...not a medic/doc but I have to agree with vijay. What on earth with the discharge? And second...teenagers are stupid. So are adults, mind you...

I haven't stopped by in a while so I hope you're okay, dear.

Hugs,
PA

Andy said...

Discharging her at 5cm - not even Northwick Park would do that. If she were 1 or 2cm, first labour, then fine, bugger off home... but fairground ride?! Hahaha.

AtYourCervix said...

We send women home who are 4cms, no cervical change in several hours, in prodromal (mild contracts, but not continuing to dilate) labor. Or if the contractions space out, they are sent home.

But 5cms? She'd be an automatic admit, and artificial rupture of membranes to augment the labor.

Me thinks the patient wasn't truly 5 cms dilated......

Medblog Addict said...

Hope all is going well and the reason for no new posts is your "current squeeze, my babyluv". Let us know how you are doing sometime.

Dr Joey said...

shroom, have you died?! it's been nearly a month! take it the relationship is going well?!

Bo... said...

I love your term "Obs and Gobs"!! (I'm going to start using it...)